Monday, December 9, 2013

Psycho

Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho; "The Rainstorm" by Bernard Herrmann 

Psycho (1960) poster
     Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 film, Psycho has shocked audiences with its chilling screenplay and equally effective music. In fact, Bernard Herrmann's score for Psycho has become one of the most iconic horror themes of all time. 


     In this scene ("the Rainstorm") from Psycho, the protagonist, Marion Crane (played by Janet Leigh) becomes consumed by her thoughts of her recent crime. She has stolen $40,000 from her employer in the hopes of starting her life anew with her Californian boyfriend Sam Loomis (played by John Gavin). After hours of driving, Marion has succumbed to paranoia as she begins to imagine possible reactions and conversations from the people affected by her crime. Bernard Herrmann's score adds to her urgency as the all-string-orchestra is fast paced and continuously builds. When it begins to rain, the music mirrors this natural event as the softer pizzicato plucking of the instruments create a foreboding lull in this scene. The short and sharp staccato notes foreshadow the knife induced horrors yet to come. Now Marion has found herself lost in the storm, the music swelling. Her exhaustion festers as as the pulsing music ends. The Bates Motel sign slowly comes into view. Marion slowly drives up to the vacant motel seeking only sanctuary. 

Bates' house on the hill and Norman overlooking the motel
     This scene is beautifully complimented by Bernard Herrmann's iconic music. I find the composition of this scene both unsettling and interesting. I remember when I first saw this scene, I was captivated by the camera's locked on focus on Janet Leigh. Her eyes were so expressive though they hardly blinked. Her expressions were subtle and yet I was able to read an entire range of her emotions. The music was something that also left an impact on me. I dedicated  several years of my life playing the Double Bass in an all string orchestra, and so I was able to appreciate the subtler aspects of Herrmann's score.  

Alfred Hitchcock (left) and Bernard Herrmann (right)
     In "the Rainstorm" scene, Herrmann creates a tense atmosphere through his music that succeeds his intended response. The effectiveness of his score has withheld the test of time; as his music holds the same effect on its viewers today as it did in 1960. Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho has become my favorite film of all time. I believe that a large portion of the reason that I enjoy the film as much as I do, is due to the amazing soundtrack. Bernard Herrmann's score heavily compliments Hitchcock's film and I could not imagine Psycho without it. 

Marion meets Mrs. Bates

No comments:

Post a Comment